Saturday, April 17, 2010

Birthday Drama Part 2

So . . . .

After mulling it over in my head all day long and having several freak outs, I called back and told them that the time they gave me won't work out. Can you do that? My OB was out of the office and my regular nurse was with her so they left a message for her. Some other random nurse called back for damage control I think but I just said no thank you, I will discuss this with my doctor or nurse.

I have anxiety big time. I can give myself hives, breathing problems, vomit, you name it. I CANNOT sit around all day long thinking about having surgery and the babies without having a major freak out. Plus, you know how it is at hospitals, they might say 5:30 p.m., but it could be midnight before they get us in. The other issue is that hubby only gets three days off, which means he would have to choose between getting up at 6 a.m. and working all day and then attending the birth of our babies or taking the day off just to sit around the house and then the hospital and lose a day he could spend with the babies. That sucks!

I know in the real world our babies are just babies and all babies are special and blah, blah, blah. But we put in the time, the money and the effort and we should get to plan a birthday that makes us happy, not stressed! Then other paranoia's set in, like if it took them three days just to book an OR is the hospital overcrowded? Are we going to get shitty care there? Am I going to be one of those people shuffled in and out that ends up with scalpels still stuck in their body cavities after surgery?

So we wait for the phone call on Monday. Cross your fingers we get something better worked out! I have even considered just waiting until I naturally go into labor, even if it takes longer, that might be a better option. Even though that means that I will be miserable longer, the babies would be ready like they want to be and I don't have to worry about this crap anymore.

Or, the babies could just come out today, and we can forget the whole thing! :)

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're having a lot of anxiety and stress over this. I really hope that you are able to change the time to one that works better so you and your husband can both really enjoy the moment. I had some similar hospital concerns today when I got some paperwork in the mail for my C-section pre-op appointment. The day and time of the C-section were both correct, but under "patient name" was a different name, not even close to mine...and I have some paperwork to fill out where one question is "Is there any possibility you are pregnant?" Ummmm...I'm coming in for a C-section. I'm hoping that this is just a paperwork mix-up and not indicative of the care we're going to receive. Good luck to you, and again, I really hope you are able to change the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did the right thing.. here's hoping they fit you in sooner. Speaking as someone who plans to have an elective singleton c-section (in October), I would totally switch my appointment to accomodate an over-stuffed twin-having lady like yourself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to wait around all day until 5:30 pm. That does sound anxiety inducing. Good luck getting a better deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm with you abotu all this anxety beofre birth. But just the opposite.. THey want to induce me next Tuesday, (two days before you) and have be come in on Monday and I don't want to - I'd rather wait until they come naturally.

    i really don't know why these care providers can't honor what we want!

    either way, our twins will be born within a week of each other.. so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure when you have an OR time spot - they get you in on time. Most planned sections I have heard of are birth times within minutes of their appointed time.

    If you really get to choose, I'd go for Fri or Sat if DH only gets 3 days off. Get the 2 weekend days to be the days you are still in the hospital and let him have the next 3 days at home helping you find a rhythm. 3 days isn't much time off. You are going to be tossed into all day newborn motherhood. Don't ask to be released from the hospital early. Stay and let your body heal as much as possible before coming home. I worked with infants for 13 years before having mine, but it is totally different when they are someone else's children. I did love the newborn phase, but on the BZ board, we hear it sooo many times, "It is so much harder than I expected". Those newborn days of still recovering and no sleep are going to be rough even with help.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Sorry, no anonymous comments, if you can't put your name on it it's just no fun!