Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Why do you care?

Why would I share something so deeply personal with random strangers? There are a few reasons:

1. Sensitivity training. Even though I know in my heart that you are just excited, it can sometimes be brutally painful to look at pictures of your uterus on Facebook or hear how you get pregnant just by looking at a (fill in the blank with your word or choice). Watching people rub their bellies or going to a dinner where the only thing people talk about is their pregnancies can lead to days of misery for someone like me, which leads me to #2 . . . .

2. 20% of people have issues with infertility. Maybe you know someone else who is not so forthcoming with this information who you care about who is also silently suffering. Most infertile people do not share this with others and that is a personal decision. But if they do, I hope I can inspire you to show support for their struggles by airing out my dirty laundry on the internet.

3. Education. I had no idea what some people have to go through to accomplish parenthood. I have learned many hard, but good lessons. There are all different ways to achieve this if you are struggling. I am a regular person. I am not OctoMom. I am not rich. I do not desire this to control what type of baby I have. I just really want to enjoy the experience of becoming a parent, but my body refuses to perform the functions necessary to get there. And also, I don't need to just relax, I have a medical issue (in case you were thinking of saying that). Most medical insurance companies do not cover this because it is not treated as a disease so maybe you can learn a little and realize there is a lot to going through infertility.

4. You may be where I am. If you are struggling with this, I want you to know that you aren't on your own. Infertility sucks, it is up and down. I have no idea what I'm doing with this IVF and hope that I can help someone else out by providing real life information about the process.

5. You might be nosy. Hey, maybe you just want to read about someone else's business! That's cool, I do it all the time. Maybe you are one of the people who have asked me 7 million times when I'm going to have kids, so here is your answer (don't worry, I forgive you).

6. Therapy. Getting it out makes me feel better!

In the end I know, you may not care at all. You may read through this and say, "I still don't care and it's not my business." That's fine too. Thanks for checking in and I hope you never go through this.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley!

    Your list sounds like EXACTLY why I started my blog - lifebytheday.wordpress.com - I'm not as good about keeping it updated, but I'm trying! Let's be blogo-buddies ;-)

    Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone, honey. I'm so sorry you're in this club, but we'll be cheering you on every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Ashley, so many words I could have written during our journey. You have said them so well here. I still know lots of people who can use the "sensitivity training!"...thanks for letting us peek into something I know firsthand is so difficult to endure...I wish I had kept a blog when going through our 5+ years of ttc...Lori (resolve bb)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Sorry, no anonymous comments, if you can't put your name on it it's just no fun!