Saturday, January 8, 2011

Twins Everywhere

Tonight we took the monkeys to the mall because none of my clothes fit and we are going out for a nice dinner next weekend and I don't want to look like a shlumpa. The monkeys LOVE going places and seeing things. Peanut likes to touch everything and we have to keep our eye on her because I think she might have sticky fingers, if you know what I mean.

I swear we saw about 4 other sets of twins out tonight. None as cute as ours of course, but it seemed like there were quite a few. Someone passing by said something like "does it seem like there are lots of twins?" And we all know that whenever twins go out someone has to say "my so and so has twins, blah, blah, blah, blah twins twins twins." I am always nice because little babies being adored is not what I consider a problem in life, but I always think to myself "of course you know someone with twins, who doesn't?"

I never ask someone how they got their twins because 1. it's rude and 2. I just assume they are from some type of fertility treatment, or are at least highly likely to be that, especially if they are not identical. Odd are that I'm right, too! Here are some interesting facts for you:

1 in 32 live births are twins. That's a lot. It used to be 1 in 89 until loads of people had to do fertility treatments.

33% of those twins are from IVF and another 33% are from other types of fertility drugs (IUI's and Clomid). 66% are from fertility treatments of some type, which leaves only 34% being random acts of twinies.

Therefore, if you are a stranger and you are wondering if someone did fertility treatments for their twins and you don't want to be rude or weird and ask that, you can just guess that yes, in fact, they probably did. If you live in Massachusetts, Connecticut or New Jersey you really don't have to say anything because those are the places in the good ole USA that have the most and twins are cooler in New Mexico because they have the least. Also, there isn't some type of conspiracy about reproducing multiple children and twins being everywhere (which some people find creepy), it's just fertility treatments. Get over it.

You're welcome for those facts. Maybe you can use them at a cocktail party or to be mean to someone who makes you grouchy or just for your personal enjoyment because I personally love to learn random facts and share them with others, just like I am doing now. Praise the Lord for Google.

Here are my twins, fighting with each other. They can have a whole room full of toys but all they do is fight over one toy constantly and that toy is whichever one the other has. Awww, they even look cute fighting!



  1. We run into twins all the time too. At the play center there are always at least 2 other sets. Although, our best "twin friends" are not from fertility tx. Their mama was in her late 30's when she got pregnant and hit the jackpot, I guess. Other than them, though, I do assume most non-identicals came from tx, especially if the mama is younger!

  2. It's funny, I keep seeing triplets everywhere! :) Turns out (I didn't ask, I promise!) the last two sets I met weren't even from fertility treatments! Maybe it's in the water now...
    I love the pic of your hubby over on the side completely zoned out with a bright-eyed baby on each arm! Too funny! ;)


Thanks for stopping by! Sorry, no anonymous comments, if you can't put your name on it it's just no fun!