Tuesday, September 24, 2013

SAHM vs. Working Mama

Before I post this, it is NOT about other people. It is only about me and my observations about myself, I absolutely do not think that one is superior to the other and everyone should be the same. I don't think there is any difference at all in kids who are raised by a SAHM or a two parent working household. For real. 

I spent two and a half years as a full time working mom to twins. I have now spent about 9 months as a stay at home mom to three. The initial adjustment was really tough. My self worth completely changed. My bank account really changed. Trying to figure out how to stay on a schedule and not stay in my pj's all day was hard. As much as I love my kids with all my heart, having them in my face all day was hard too. I was so jealous of SAHM's who had someone to clean their house or a nanny or daycare a few days a week. The change was hard on Hubby too, being the sole provider is a big deal.

There was no turning back though. Daycare for three littles is over $2,000 a month. Unless I got a kick ass job, SAHM is how I need to be.

Let me please say with all seriousness, I absolutely love it. I love it. I can't even think of going back to work full time. I currently work part time to help out a little with finances but to also be able to afford some extras and it is such a great balance. For me, making the comparison, life is so much easier. I don't struggle to get all the kids ready and drop them off anywhere. I don't have to worry about carefully saving up my sick days for the dreaded winter season when we are sick constantly. We can make doctor's appointments any time of day. We can meet with friends. We can hop in the car and go to the library, the park. We can stay in our jammies all day. My house is clean and we eat at home. We aren't rushed and I don't have to count every second because I have so many more seconds in the day.

I love listening to all the crazy things the twins are coming up with. I love watching them explore things. We are doing some homeschool and that is fun for me too. I love snuggling the baby at my leisure. Taking naps with him. We are still nursing and it is now pretty stress free and also cheap.

Of course there are times when I feel frumpy and gross. There are times when I feel like I am just a college educated maid and butt wiper. There are times when I think I may go postal if I hear one more "mommy, mommy, mommy" or whining or step on another toy. But mostly I love it and I feel so lucky I am getting this opportunity.

This week I wanted to pick up some more hours at my part time job to cover some expenses coming up. I didn't even have to get there until 1:45 in the afternoon and getting the kids ready, trying to wake up because the baby fed all night long and I was exhausted, having to change right before leaving because the baby smeared avocado all over me, dropping the kids off and then we only have one car that everyone fits in so trying and unsuccessfully switching cars with Hubby before getting to work so he could pick up the kids (he was pissed) was a hot mess. It put a lot of things into perspective!

Right now I'm knee deep in SAHM-hood and loving it. It will more than likely not change until the twins are in Kindergarten or higher due to daycare costs. I am definitely thinking of what I need to do now to make sure I have a chance at a job when they are older (part time, school hours only please???) because we all know taking yourself out of the workforce is a huge step backward. At the same time, it is giving me the opportunity to think about what I can do to enter a different field of work, so there are many positives to my new lifestyle.

I might be high on snuggles though.

Enjoying our last bits of warm weather. 




3 comments:

  1. Good for you girl!!! I would have totally stayed home if we could have taken the hit from losing my income. It was REALLY hard for me to go back after having Hudson. I am so thrilled that you have had the opportunity to stay home! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it was a hard transition for me at first too but now it's so nice! I just recently got a part time gig that only requires about 5hrs on Sundays in my field of social work so I'm thankful for that to keep my foot in the door. I agree it's so much easier to not have to worry about sick days and we always have plenty of time to make dinner at home, not to mention the time with Ian, definitely a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous. But I know that's simplifying things, it's been a tough transition for you. But oh, to be high on snuggles like you ... you are rich in the important things. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Sorry, no anonymous comments, if you can't put your name on it it's just no fun!