Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Travel with Toddlers

We have recently just arrived home from a 3 day trip to Phoenix from Kansas by way of a three hour plane ride.

Well . . . . .

Wednesday night/Thursday morning: Ocean was up all night. Until 5:00 a.m. He had been a little sick last week and his ear was red but the specialist would like to keep him off of antibiotics. That did not work out. We went downstairs so hubby could sleep and watched Sesame Street for awhile. I happened to drift off into slumberland for a brief moment and the child emptied my wallet all over the floor, did the same to hubby's, packed a bunch of stuff into his suitcase and took a gigantic crap all over the place. Yay.

7:45 a.m. Thursday: Sadly woke up extremely exhausted and we began getting things together. I procrastinated as usual so had to drop the twins off at daycare, work for a few hours, and franticly pack and sort of clean. I also had to pick up an antibiotic and drugs for Osh because I had a feeling we were about to have a truly hellish experience on the flight.

2:45 p.m. Thursday: Pick up twins from daycare then pick up hubby then go to the airport.

Let me give you a list of things we hauled into the airport:

1. Two carseats
2. Two strollers
3. Two small Sesame Street suitcases filled with toys, blankies, snacks, coloring tools.
4. A diaper bag.
5. A back pack.
6. My purse.

7. Two lunch boxes

Needless to say, hubby was pissed about dragging all this crap through the airport.

4:45 p.m. Board the flight that was sure to be hell. Ocean slept the whole way and Ever was a little angel to my shock and pleasant surprise! Go us!

Everything became a blur once we arrived. Twins were happy to be out of the plane. Ever slept like shit the first night and we relaxed the second day (hubby pretty much slept all day Friday).

The second night was awful, especially because this became the third straight night I had with NO sleep. She couldn't breathe well off and on and had a barking cough. Long story short-we took her to urgent care asap Saturday morning and they were a bunch of asshats. I figured she had croup or maybe bronchitis, but they did a F- xray in which they decided she had severe pnuemonia and an enlarged heart and we should transfer her by ambulance to the ER. Umm . . . the girl was snotty and coughing, but no fever, still eating and drinking so I had a hard time believing this crap so I told them I would take her myself. We went to the ER, were checked in right away, and then proceeded to wait for 2 and a half hours for a doctor. In the end, she did just have croup and an ear infection and she received a very traumatic breathing treatment and snot suction as well as a steroid.

The next day we repeated our travel home except the twins did not sleep. It was 11:00 p.m. our time before they even passed out, but then Ever woke back up when we were in the car. Our house did not have heat on and it was dirty as hell and the sicko's need cleanliness and new sheets and I didn't feel like it so we arrived at my grandparents home to sleep at 12:30 a.m.

I am very tired. I will also not haul my children that far in their toddlerhood for only three nights ever again. That was not smart. The great news is we got to see a fresh new cutie baby which happens to be my nephew (that's probably why he's cute) and the twinkles got to see their grandparents (although after three nights in bed with Grandma Ocean has yet to sleep in his own bed, sigh). This was their fourth flight though, so they are a little jetsetting crew.

Snow White and the Handsome Devil


Hubby made the monkey's their own pumpkin patch!



  1. Seriously (Tuesday)... why don't doctors trust mothers? You know 99.99999% of the time we are correct in our diagnosis.
    But, I'm glad Ever doesn't have an enlarged heart. (eye roll)
    It might have been a whirlwind trip - but sounds like you got to see lots of family and that is always a good thing. :-)

  2. Oh boy! Its a good thing they are so cute! LOVE tiger little devil costume!

  3. ” the” not ” tiger” stupid phone......

  4. Hi Ashley, as a mother of two and a keen traveler, i loved your articles. Thanks for posting.


Thanks for stopping by! Sorry, no anonymous comments, if you can't put your name on it it's just no fun!